wg-multicast - RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:39:22 -0500

To the extent the routers support priority queuing, one can simply set the
TOS field of the source to a high level and the router can ensure this
traffic receives top attention. Obviously, QoS is only an issue in an
oversubscribed network (i.e. not an issue for local switches), and this
approach works well.

There is no magic: one could send duplicate frames to reduce the effects of
loss (increased overhead), perform FEC (increased latency), engineer the
decoder to mask loss, or engineer the network to minimize loss.

Regards,

Rich Mavrogeanes