wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Russ Hobby <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:00:04 -0400

Russ Hobby wrote:

> A few months back at a CENIC TAC meeting I polled the member campuses about
> the state of multicast and found that several campus had backslid and had
> less multicast penetration then a couple of years ago. Most of those that
> backslid indicated it was because that they installed new equipment
> (usually routers) and had not turned on multicast, either because they saw
> no demand to do so, or the new equipment was different to configure
> multicast and they had not figured it out yet (again demand would have made
> a difference). A couple of other cases multicast was turned off because
> people did start using it, but that broke unicast (or all networking).
>
> The latter was the case here at UC Davis. We have an ATM Backbone running
> LANE. Muitcast goes thorough the Broadcast Unknown Servers, a limited
> resource. So when multicast traffic got to the point where it was swamping
> the servers, netops just turned it all off and will only turn on multicast
> on special request to specific locations. Fortunately the ATM network is
> scheduled to be replaced in a couple of months.
>
> Russ

Uh, what _was_ that traffic ? Isn't ATM at least 155 mbps - that seems like
a lot of multicast video traffic at the present time. Or is this a NBMA issue
?

--
Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html