wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: René Hatem <>
  • To: "Brent Sweeny" <>, "Rick Summerhill" <>
  • Cc: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, "Marshall Eubanks" <>, "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:14:38 -0400

> and unfortunately, the Abilene multicast map at the participant level
> is still awfully spotty: we can tell fairly easily what connectors we
> have msdp and PIM up with, but less about what happens beyond that--if
> you don't see mroutes or SAs that doesn't mean they're not enabled.
> And the map tends to indicate places where multicast has been sighted,
> not whether it's currently enabled, as with the examples given here by
> Rick and Ross. So I'm still thinking about how that list could be
> better automated. Brent

When you figure it out please let me know!!
FYI - the status in Canada (CA*net 3 GigaPoPs)

Not multicast enabled:
NB (as611)
NF (as10972) - in process of enabling
WEDnet (as11700)
surenet (as12004)
MRnet (as 10965) - in process of enabling

Multicast enabled 1: PIM-SMv2, MBGP, MSDP
Multicast enabled 2: PIM-SMv2 only - using c3-torcor01 as RP

BCnet (as271) 2
NETERAnet (as15296) 1
SRnet (as803) 1
ONet (as549) 2