wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:58:42 -0400

Although NYSERNet is on the 'good' list, something I'm happy about, that doesn't mean that we have good multicast deployment. One campus has it deployed everywhere, but it doesn't *work* everywhere; often when someone attempts to send or receive traffic from a new subnet there's troubleshooting and tweaking that has to take place. Another campus has multicast running just to the computer center. I have it to our entire network here at the NYSERNet office, but that's one router and one switch.

I think there are three problems preventing better deployment. One is that some sites' hardware just can't cut it; they have routers or switches that don't do anything but DVMRP, they have too many hubs, they have no choice but to use a firewall. Another is that multicast is hard to troubleshoot - it works (and breaks) differently from unicast, some of the troubleshooting tools are quirky and unreliable, there's less monitoring and alerting. The last is that it breaks, for me at least, on a constant basis. Every unicast routing change risks breaking multicast, as does every software upgrade. Even when *nothing* changes, multicast breaks out of spite ;)

Right now I have MSDP instablity with the Ciscos that I peer with (I also have a Cisco) but not with my backbone Junipers. I discovered that while trying to get multicast traffic from Columbia; one of their sources worked fine, the other didn't. Cisco problem? Bug in my bleeding-edge IOS? Some weird MSDP traffic? Change in unicast routing? Darned if I know. I'm not even positive the MSDP instability is related to my not being able to see their content. I'll spend a couple of hours troubleshooting and hopefully fix it, but next week or next month it will be something different.

All that being said, I do like multicast, especially native multicast. Things have come a long, long way since the first time I pulled up a multicast tunnel and they continue to get better. I will keep pushing it to NYSERNet members, making sure that they know both the benefits and the costs involved. And I've put a shiny new edge router in next year's budget ;)

Bill.