wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: Russ Hobby <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:15:27 -0700

A few months back at a CENIC TAC meeting I polled the member campuses about the state of multicast and found that several campus had backslid and had less multicast penetration then a couple of years ago. Most of those that backslid indicated it was because that they installed new equipment (usually routers) and had not turned on multicast, either because they saw no demand to do so, or the new equipment was different to configure multicast and they had not figured it out yet (again demand would have made a difference). A couple of other cases multicast was turned off because people did start using it, but that broke unicast (or all networking).

The latter was the case here at UC Davis. We have an ATM Backbone running LANE. Muitcast goes thorough the Broadcast Unknown Servers, a limited resource. So when multicast traffic got to the point where it was swamping the servers, netops just turned it all off and will only turn on multicast on special request to specific locations. Fortunately the ATM network is scheduled to be replaced in a couple of months.

Russ