wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:07:22 -0400

"Kevin C. Almeroth" wrote:

> I thought awhile about NOT sending this out because I didn't want to
> offend those folks not on the "multicast-enabled" part. But instead,
> I decided to send it anyway and (1) thanks those there were multicast
> enabled, (2) marvel at the number of multicast-enabled connectors, and
> (3) ask for help in getting to 100%.
>
> >> The latest abilene multicast map shows 43 connectors multicast-enabled*,
> >>of 51, not counting NGIXs nor StarTap. (*actually, the maps say 41 of 52,
> >>but I miscounted--this exercise showed me there are 43/51.) I thought you
> >>might be interested to see which connectors might be target for "some
> >>help".
> >> We've also thought of some ideas to workably get a more accurate idea of
> >>which participants are enabled and will work on filling that in better.
> >> Brent
> >>
> >>the connectors NOT multicast-enabled, and their Abilene core nodes, are:
> >>
> >>UTEP HS
> >>AHE HS
> >>SMU HS
> >>SWMED HS
> >>LAnet HS
> >>Louisville IP
> >>Rutgers NY
> >>WPI NY
> >>
> >>the 43 connectors who are multicast-enabled are:
> >>Calren S LA
> >>SDSC LA
> >>Calren N SV
> >>Hawaii SV
> >>PNW ST
> >>Oregon DV
> >>Utah DV
> >>Qwest DV
> >>FRGP DV
> >>arizonaSU DV
> >>Arizona DV
> >>UNM DV
> >>OneNet KS
> >>GPN KS
> >>IowaSU KS
> >>Memphis KS
> >>NorthernLights IP
> >>NCSA IP
> >>Indiana IP
> >>MREN IP
> >>Merit CV
> >>PSC CV
> >>OARnet CV
> >>Nysernet NY
> >>Advanced NY
> >>NOX NY
> >>NWVa NY
> >>MAGPI DC
> >>UDEL DC
> >>MAX DC
> >>Drexel DC
> >>NCNI DC
> >>SOX AT
> >>Vanderbilt AT
> >>SFGP AT
> >>USoFlorida AT
> >>FSU AT
> >>Msstate AT
> >>Tulane HS
> >>Texas (A&M) HS
> >>FAMU HS
> >>UTAustin HS
> >>TexasTech HS

Kevin;

What is a "connector" ? A gigapop ?

I would like to compare this list with our MBGP peering
over Sprint and vBNS, to see how many connectors really connect.

--
Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html