wg-multicast - Re: the good and bad

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: the good and bad

  • From: Roy Hockett <>
  • To: Bill Owens <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: the good and bad
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:58:41 -0400

Here at University of Michigan we are working on deployment of
multicast throughout our backbone and then on LANs as the need is identified
and each LAN is evaluated for its capabilities to handle multicast.
Our desire was to roll out production multicast, much like reliable
unicast service. However, as we started working with it with
the GigaPoP, we soon found out how "non" production it is. For many
of the reasons Bill outlines I see multicast as still an developing
service, that can be enabled on networks, but that will take a back seat
to reliable Unicast traffic.
I am guessing that most institutions don't have, and can't afford
both a production infrastructure, and an experimental one so that they
can seperate things like multicast, and such. So with a single
infrastructure, and the need for reliable unicast, multicast will always
lose out. Now one why to semi-achieve the experimental network is
through the use of vlans, but this only works at Layer2, you still need
seperate layer3 devices, so your reliable unicast routing doesn't break
because of the bug for multicast routing.
I think that there is a need for a mind set of multicast is
production
by service providers, software developers, tool developers, and
especially
router and switch vendors, to provide reliable multicast infrastructures.
I am concerned that even with the above, that without content that
actracts users to multicast, it won't be taken seriously and recieve the
attention that is needed to move into a production service.
The final question is that what if multicast did become as popular
as MP3 swapping did, will it scale? will the networks beable to handle it?
I think there is some good technology outthere that takes advantage
of multicast, like the access-grid, but is this technology destine to
stay only in the research comnumity only, or will it move to the
comerical world?

--

/* Roy Hockett * Telephone: (734) 763-7325 */

*/
/* University of Michigan * */