wg-multicast - Turn it on everywhere?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Turn it on everywhere?

  • From: Tim Ward <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Turn it on everywhere?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:00:06 -0500

Hey all,

I'm tired of users with shared ports preventing a 100% L3 multicast
deployment on our campus. More than once I've thought about just
turning it on everywhere, to all of our 300 or so subnets and let the
chips fall where they may. My suspicion is that there won't be too
big of an effect on the shared 10 users, unless there is some highly
desirable multicast content.

So what do you all think the repercussions will be in terms of network
operation if we take this step?

Network description:
6509 based L3 GE backbone, feeding 3500s and 2900s, with users connected
to 3500s and 2900s and still some shared 10 hubs. Roughly 50/50 mix of
users on hubs and users on switches. We ping all of the hubs and switches
we support (which is darn near all of them in the comm closets) every 2
minutes to check for reachability.

Tim
--
Tim Ward

V 847-467-1449
Manager of Operations and Engineering G172 Leverone Hall F 847-467-5690
Telecommunications and Network Services Information Technology
2001 Sheridan Rd Evanston IL 60208-2030 Northwestern University