wg-multicast - Re: Turn it on everywhere?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Turn it on everywhere?

  • From: ken lindahl <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Turn it on everywhere?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 11:51:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001, John Zwiebel
>I hope you all recognize that SSM deployment is going to greatly ease
>your potential problems.

that's a great lead-in to a question i want to ask the list anyway.
the original question was about switched vs shared segments, which
i interpreted as igmp-snooping to "protect" non-participating hosts
vs clobbering all hosts on a segment with multicast traffic that is
unwanted by non-participants.

what is the current level of support for igmpv3 snooping in switches?

about 6 months ago, we here at berkeley issued an RFP for switches and
one of the questions i asked was about igmpv3 snooping. most of the
answers were "wazzat?" a few were "i'm sure our engineers are working
on it, we'll get back to you with an answer." but the short of it then
was that nobody supported v3 snooping. has that situation changed?

does anyone on this list know of switches that currently support igmp
snooping that will work correctly with v3 and ssm?

thanks,
ken