wg-multicast - Re: Turn it on everywhere?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Turn it on everywhere?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Turn it on everywhere?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:29:29 -0700 (PDT)

we don't see enough individual joiners from any subnet where we have
shared hubs (our dorms mostly) to crush any particular segment yet, KazaA
and gnutella are responsible for that happening.

joelja

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Tim Ward wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm tired of users with shared ports preventing a 100% L3 multicast
> deployment on our campus. More than once I've thought about just
> turning it on everywhere, to all of our 300 or so subnets and let the
> chips fall where they may. My suspicion is that there won't be too
> big of an effect on the shared 10 users, unless there is some highly
> desirable multicast content.
>
> So what do you all think the repercussions will be in terms of network
> operation if we take this step?
>
> Network description:
> 6509 based L3 GE backbone, feeding 3500s and 2900s, with users connected
> to 3500s and 2900s and still some shared 10 hubs. Roughly 50/50 mix of
> users on hubs and users on switches. We ping all of the hubs and switches
> we support (which is darn near all of them in the comm closets) every 2
> minutes to check for reachability.
>
> Tim

Joel Jaeggli

Academic User Services

PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms. Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.