shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

  • From: Alistair Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:44:20 +0100

some interesting thoughts there Scott, thanks for taking the time to put them
together.

One thing I've seen more than any in the Java SP world is adopters want the
smallest possible footprint in their apps. Quite often, SAML/Shibboleth is a
very small part of their access portfolio, mainly educational customers in
the UK I would say, so it leads to a "that'll do for now" implementation.

Also, whereas the C++ SP is a standalone entity with its own dependencies
compiled in, a Java SP relies on the container to provide its dependencies
and if they conflict with the app's then that ends up with the vendor writing
one-off code to get round that, as you say. It's almost a version of DLL Hell
(Jar Hell!). Chad mentioned a Filter implementation but if you can keep the
filter as profile agnostic as possible and have the meat elsewhere, you might
get more adopters of a "standard" Java SP.

cheers,

Alistair

Alistair Young
Senior Software Engineer