shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Return of the Java SP... again
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:11:13 +0200

* Andrew Petro
<>
[2010-08-25 20:36]:
> A Java SP would help uPortal to go further, to e.g. ship a quickstart
> with a working example of using Shibboleth *without requiring Apache*.
> To emulate what is currently done with uPortal shipping a quickstart
> including CAS and working configuration to delegate authentication to
> CAS, that is, do this same thing with Shibboleth, shipping an example
> IdP and the Java SP configured to allow login to uPortal via that
> example IdP.

Even with all that, fronting a container with Apache httpd and the
Shib SP probably is only a tiny fraction of the effort needed getting
all this to work (such as customizing uPoral, writing portlets, etc.)

As for the existing Java SPs: It seems to me properly documenting the
available alternative Java SP projects/products would be time better
spent, but then this is not the Shibboleth projects mission.

Our own main Java enterprise app runs behind Apache httpd anyway, but
I'll try to ask around a bit about a few of the other more specalized
Java-based systems we bought/licensed. My impression is they are all
"special" and don't integrate or play well with anything else (except
maybe being able to talk to an LDAPv3 DSA for authentication).
-peter