shibboleth-dev - Re: opensaml.jar

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: opensaml.jar

  • From: Tom Scavo <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: opensaml.jar
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:08:06 -0400

On 8/30/05, Scott Cantor
> > In addition to removing the servlet.jar
> > dependency, it would be good if OpenSAML incorporated a metadata API.
> > As it is, the tester relies on metadata classes from the Shib distro,
> > which we would like to avoid if possible. Then the tester could be
> > distributed independent of Shib.
>
> I understand, but since we were told early on that your project was planning
> to roll its own SAML implementation, that resulted in my decision to defer
> putting any metadata support in that code base until 2.0.

I don't believe we ever said that (we said we weren't relying on the
Java SP) but no matter, what's done is done. The problem is that
GridShib will most likely focus on SAML 1.1/Shib 1.3 throughout the
life of the project, so the work you do with 2.0 will be lost on us.
We need SAML metadata in OpenSAML 1.1, I'm afraid.

Globus Toolkit is in the same boat. Their SAML callout is built
around SAML 1.1, so if we upgrade OpenSAML in GT (which is stuck at
0.8), it will have to be OpenSAML 1.1, not OpenSAML 2.0. The latter
is simply not an option for us, sorry.

Tom