shibboleth-dev - RE: opensaml.jar

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: opensaml.jar

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: opensaml.jar
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:54:50 -0400

> I understand now, thanks. In addition to removing the servlet.jar
> dependency, it would be good if OpenSAML incorporated a metadata API.
> As it is, the tester relies on metadata classes from the Shib distro,
> which we would like to avoid if possible. Then the tester could be
> distributed independent of Shib.

I understand, but since we were told early on that your project was planning
to roll its own SAML implementation, that resulted in my decision to defer
putting any metadata support in that code base until 2.0. For us, there was
no advantage.

Once 1.3 settles down and there's no work ongoing in the branch, I will be
moving the interfaces over. To put an implementation in, though, I need to
settle on a model for dynamically reloading the XML, and my model is very
different than the model in the IdP, so that has to be reconciled.

Probably both need to be revisited anyway to support dynamically fetching
and caching it.