shibboleth-dev - Re: opensaml.jar

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: opensaml.jar

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: opensaml.jar
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:40:51 -0400

Including servlet.jar would be inappropriate, I think. This contains the specific implementations for the J2EE specified Servlet and JSP interfaces (which are also included in the jar, for convenience reasons) for a given version of Tomcat. Thus, this jar is different for given versions of Tomcat and simply doesn't exist with other containers.

With other projects it's usual to just require the user to make sure their J2EE classes are on their classpath and then include that classpath in the command line tool classpath. Which I'm honestly not sure if we do or not, with the standard Shib scripts, but you certainly could with the GridShib scripts you might have.

Scott Cantor wrote:
servlet.jar has tons of concrete classes in it, all kinds of useful stuff.

Then I'd say that's a bit of a concern, since AFAIK, servlet.jar would be
container-specific, no? I guess we can slide by in this case, but it's
definitely a bug in OpenSAML we need to fix.

--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124