mace-opensaml-users - RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:04:58 -0500

> Does this explanation help a bit more on what the problem is?

I know this much...if you want the XML content to be directly composed with
the AttributeValue element, than you need to instantiate your XMLObject class
with a builder call that overrides the element QName to be
saml:AttributeValue.

That's legal, and is actually what is meant by an xsi:type of your element's
type. This confuses people, who seem to often think that an xsi:type like
that would imply that their element would show up inside the <AttributeValue>
element. It also breaks a lot of commercial code, although in fairness, any
XML inside an attribute value will break them. (This is actually a major
point...think long and hard before using complex attribute values. Nothing
much supports them.)

Anyway, if what you want is your element inside the <AttributeValue> element,
then the piece you're missing is that you need to build the AttributeValue
object first, and then add your object as a child element to it.

I can't give you code, but I know that conceptually the Java works more or
less like my code does, and that's how you'd do it in mine.