mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:32:17 -0500

Well, those XS* types are I believe all XML Schema simple types, like string, integer, etc.  Your type as you gave in your example is a complex type, that has child elements, etc.  That means your type isn't just going to have a single property/value like those do.  It will have possibly many properties (so getter/setter pairs) for the attributes and/or element content represented by your complex type.  Therefore looking at the XS* examples probably isn't very illustrative for what you would be doing.  Look at any of the other multitude of XMLObject impls that have attributes and/or child elements, but not those.

Note that you have 2 "things" in what you gave:  1) the custom type that you are trying to create as an AttributeValue element (which might also be representable as an element with a different name, but I don't know what your conceptual schema for that looks like) 2) the child element of that custom type.   Both have their own XML content model (where the second is a part of the first).  So you'd need 2 XMLObject providers, one for each.

Neill Miller wrote:
Hello Brent,

Ok, now I'm just confused.  I've been following the directions for creating a new SAML object at the link you pointed to and am already extending XMLObject (well, ValidatingXMLObject actually).  I've implemented the interface, the impl, the builder, the marshaller, the unmarshaller, and even have the stubs for the validator (but haven't really done much with it) -- all based on the XS* types included in the library.

My interface is defined as follows:

public interface XSMyType extends ValidatingXMLObject {

The impl is defined as follows:

public class XSMyTypeImpl extends AbstractValidatingXMLObject implements XSMyType {

So what is it exactly that my type is missing and needs to get this done?

thanks,
-Neill.