mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To: Neill Miller <>,
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:12:45 -0500

Neill Miller wrote:
> Hello Brent,
>
> Thanks! Could you describe a little more about implementing the XMLObject
> providers for my custom type? I'm new to the library and am not familiar
> with that terminology. I realize treating the object as text isn't the way
> to go, but I'm having a hard time trying to get the type built any other
> way. I'd like to try the first method you mentioned, but am not sure where
> to start. Grepping the code, I see a lot of references to
> 'XMLObjectProvider*' in the test cases, but I'm not sure how that applies
> to this case.

An XMLObject is the fundamental interface in the OpenSAML stack.
Generally, you have an XMLObject implementation for each XML element
and/or type that you want to support. I'd suggest consulting the
developer's guide, if you haven't already.

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoDeveloperManual

Mostly what you need to know is in the "Creating New Components"
section, in the "Creating a new SAML Object" + Marshaller, Unmarshaller
sections. Note that a SAMLObject is just a specialization in
java-opensaml2 of the base type XMLObject defined in java-xmltooling.