mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:11:09 -0500

Scott Cantor wrote:
> The problem is that with things like AttributeValue, where use of xsi:type
> is discouraged, you *will* (I think) get an XSAny on the way back in. So
> the cost of creating the code has to be balanced by that.

Yeah, if you don't have an xsi:type present, you will get an XSAny when
unmarshalling. I meant to note that asymmetry vis-a-vis having a
provider for a custom type for the generating and marshalling messages
to send vs. processing received messages.

On the other hand... if the sender did include xsi:type, and if it's
OpenSAML processing it, it would handle that just fine with the custom
provider type, assuming you have properly registered it of course.