grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:21:50 -0500

I was thinking much the same, but the other way around. If we add to a history table as each transaction completes, all that remains for notification is to fire up the notifier and tell it there's something new. Sites vested in database triggers could do it themselves that way. The grouper product could instead include a technique along the lines of what ChrisH proposed to fire up a registered notifier (replacing the function of "asynchronous post-hook"). We might supply a notifier implementation that can (1) update an LDAP directory and/or (2) send a message to a web service. Something like that.

If audit were to rely on notification, then to have a reliable audit history I think we'd need to have reliable notification in the grouper API. But going the other way around I think we can avoid that need.

Tom

Michael R. Gettes wrote:
You know - I was pondering all this and James' note triggered it
for me - when it comes to Audit - why couldn't a notification system
handle the audit needs? Kill 2 birds with one stone.

/mrg