grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Tom Barton <>, 'Grouper Dev' <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 06:02:01 -0400

> What happens when things are deleted? An audit log needs to stand by
> itself
> as far as possible. I think Tom was effectively saying we should,
> between
> any set of changes, be able to do a diff - as with CVS / Subversion.
> Using
> an audit log you should be able to reconstruct what a group (including
> membership and privileges, looked like at a point in time - in case of
> dispute can you show, retrospectively, whether a student had access to
> online course materials when they were supposed to hand in some work?

There is no foreign key into the audit table, so if there is a delete, that
id will go into the change log and there will be no corresponding records in
the data table. So when a process looks for it, sees it doesn't exist, it
acts accordingly. Yes, what you describe is fine, I just think that sounds
like a manual process, not automated. So an administrator can filter the
audit logs, read the descriptions, and decide what the history is. So it
doesn't need to be machine readable and 100% complete... right?