grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Tom Barton <>, 'Grouper Dev' <>,
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:10:15 +0100

We need to flesh out exactly what the audit requirements are - doesn’t mean we implement everything yet but I know they are considered very important for a lot of sites.

Gary

--On 28 May 2008 06:02 -0400 Chris Hyzer

What happens when things are deleted? An audit log needs to stand by
itself
as far as possible. I think Tom was effectively saying we should,
between
any set of changes, be able to do a diff - as with CVS / Subversion.
Using
an audit log you should be able to reconstruct what a group (including
membership and privileges, looked like at a point in time - in case of
dispute can you show, retrospectively, whether a student had access to
online course materials when they were supposed to hand in some work?

There is no foreign key into the audit table, so if there is a delete,
that id will go into the change log and there will be no corresponding
records in the data table. So when a process looks for it, sees it
doesn't exist, it acts accordingly. Yes, what you describe is fine, I
just think that sounds like a manual process, not automated. So an
administrator can filter the audit logs, read the descriptions, and
decide what the history is. So it doesn't need to be machine readable
and 100% complete... right?

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing