grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>, Tom Barton <>, 'Grouper Dev' <>,
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:56:32 +0100

--On 28 May 2008 05:43 -0400 Chris Hyzer

Can the change log just reference things generally by id and the process
looking for updates could query the data from the api or registry
tables/views? So the change log just has a listing of what has changed,
but now how it has changed? Granted there could be a column where we put
info about it (ala event log), but not rely on machine readability...
What happens when things are deleted? An audit log needs to stand by itself as far as possible. I think Tom was effectively saying we should, between any set of changes, be able to do a diff - as with CVS / Subversion. Using an audit log you should be able to reconstruct what a group (including membership and privileges, looked like at a point in time - in case of a dispute can you show, retrospectively, whether a student had access to online course materials when they were supposed to hand in some work?

Gary

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing