grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications

  • From: "caleb racey" <>
  • To: "Grouper Dev" <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] hooks and notifications
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:01:42 +0100

Newcastle's main use case for notification is provisioning into access
control systems for wikis etc. At present we take a polling approach
where cron'd scripts check for updates in group memberships and
propagate the changes. This works but does result in a usability issues
due to the delay in updating systems. With notification we could move to
a model where change get propagated immediately.

For tools like sympa (mailing list manager) they already have SOAP
servers that would allow us to propagate a group membership change into
the sympa mailing lists by firing off a SOAP message on notification of
change. Many apps are not what the comanage project calls "well behaved"
and would take a large amount of effort to adapt to pulling user groups
from LDAP. We therefore do have to provision these apps with group data
and notification of change would enable this.

We would like the audit trial element but for us the enhancements to
application provisioning is what would give us the most direct benefit.

notifications