wg-multicast - Re: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I rest my case

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Cc: debbie fligor <>
  • Subject: Re: I rest my case
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:51:16 -0500

At 15:25 -0400 5/22/04, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Short term response

- tell them to join this list and post their problems here

that's why I'm here, but my expected MSDP problem didn't materialize.

Long term reponse

- tell them to take (or oeven offer to host) one of our esteemed "Multicast Workshops"

Next two are Vancouver, BC, and Columbus, OH.
http://multicast.internet2.edu/workshops/vancouver/vancouver-mcast-announce
http://jointtechs.ornl.gov/index.html
I am sure that with these resources they can get the help they need.

Besides the fact that the IT staff may not have the budget to get to extra conferences (we certainly don't right now), knowledge doesn't help if the vendors don't implement it correctly. I spent literally over 9 months working with Foundry before we had clean multicast on our campus, and every few months we go over some part of it again as we find some other thing that doesn't work or used to work but is now broken. Some of that was problems with how I was doing things, most of what we found was realy problems in their code. We had to turn off multicast on the (small, legacy) group of OC-3 attached routers, to get this far. This week it's the MSDP peer IP address changing itself in the config on our exit router. It's hard to believe, but here was the config delta:

Global Settings
DEL: msdp-peer 141.142.12.1
ADD: msdp-peer 0.20.1.153 connect-source loopback 215

I'm eagerly awaiting the newest OS because I'll finally get to _try_ applying the ACLs on MSDP that I should have been doing all along. I haven't even asked about the stuff I'm reading about on this list or on the group website like SSM, they can barely get MSDP/mBGP working (okay, maybe SSM will be easier, but you understand my worry).

We finally got everything up and working, mostly stable, and nearly no one is using it. including the people that asked us to get it working again (it had been broken for months after we added the Foundry equipment to our core and exit before we even knew it wasn't working).

On Sat, 22 May 2004 09:50:19 -0400
"Richard Mavrogeanes"
> I think it would be great if someone in this group could create/sponsor a multicast
IMPLEMENTATION FAQ targeted at members IT staff. We don't need a "what is multicast" but a "how
to" FAQ. I further think this group might form and post a volunteer list of email and phone
numbers that member's local IT staff could turn to for help in setting up their networks (I
> cannot volunteer mostly because I do not have I2 access).

If anyone needs help with foundry or foundry/cisco integration, I'd be happy to share what I've learned, although it mostly has to do with running the correct versions of the Foundry code.

--

-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"Every keystroke can be monitored. And the computers never forget."