wg-multicast - Re: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I rest my case

  • From: "Charles R. Anderson" <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: I rest my case
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:52:55 -0400

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:41:48PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> They're not cautious if they haven't deployed it by now, they're not
> interested.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm still working through various multicast
issues with my vendors. I tell our faculty and staff that multicast
isn't stable yet and that it can't be relied upon to always work
correctly except in our Access Grid Node.

Interestingly, though, our switches do support IGMPv3 snooping--it is
the client suuport that is lacking. And since there is no way to
gradually migrate from IGMPv2 to IGMPv3, I can't support SSM at all
until all the clients are upgraded.