wg-multicast - RE: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: I rest my case

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Dan Pritts" <>
  • Cc: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: RE: I rest my case
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:08:29 -0400

Hi Dan,

More likely *I'm* the confused one :)

Our appliances are both clients and servers (encoders and decoders). We are
ISO-9001 certified and take our product reliability very seriously, hence even
a "tweek" requires months of testing, at the very least to make sure nothing
else
is broken. Like I said, in many ways SSM is easy to implement. But our
client cannot
"rely on on the OS". Same with our Set Top Box product. There is a big
multicast
world out there outside of the Internet2, in campus networks and in
residential
dsl and cable networks. These industries require commercial products and the
Internet2 benefits from this momentum.

A desktop client might be able to use the OS, but that is only part of the
story and
our experience is that such reliance typically does not meet commerical
reliablilty
and stability goals. Heck, we could not even use Microsoft's rtsp because of
their
implementation.

-- SSM comments --

Your point about SSM making arbritary address assignment a non-issue because
the source
address is considered is well taken. But we need migration and should not
expect revolution. Can you tell me today what is the deployment of SSM-capable
routers and switches? I don't have a clue and would really like to know
where we
stand. I do know that one one will upgrade all of their L2 switches just for
SSM, hence it
may be 10 years before SSM becomes pervasive as switches are natually
upgraded.
In my arguments with switch vendors about IGMPv2 five years ago, I learned
that many
had silicon implementations and could therefore not provide upgrades that
deal with
L2 issues (e.g. Nortel).

--Directory Comments --

We've implemented what we call "rtsp announce" in our latest products. This
simply
allows you to enter an address to which a SAP message (SDP) is sent
periodically. In
use, it sends a unicast message to a server that builds an automatic program
guide on
a public server: click on the program guide and you view the multicast -- if
multicast fails
you can still get the content via unicast.

This is because each source appliance creates its SDP on the fly and makes it
available to
requesters via http. No need to create, manage, store, or post a SDP file
which can be
very confusing in my experience (e.g. is this one current?). The SDP file may
describe a
multicast or it may describe a unicast. As a result, you need only post a
link to the
source appliance/SDP address. The downside is that the source must be on an
outside address.
For appliances that are NAT'd, I simply use a server to automatically do a
standard form "post"
to place the SDP file on a web server. This works well too, as it is not
uncommon for multicast
sources to exit a network yet the appliance is inside the firewall and/or is
running DHCP.

In our case with MPEG-4, we a) transmit multicast with SAP, b) transmit
unicast to a reflector which
provides unicast bandwidth scale, and c) accept standard rtsp requests
directly, all at the same
time. The directory lists both the multicast and unicast source to the same
content from the same
source. This turns out to be VERY useful because when you attempt to view
some multicast
content, you can never be really sure if a failure is the result of a
multicast issue, content format issue,
player issue, an expired link, etc. With this approach you can verify there
really is a source (view it via unicast)
and then attempt to view the multicast. As I mentioned in an eariler post,
the multicast typically fails because
it does not really extend into the host's LAN. The directory is, by its
nature, always current. Flick off the power
on the source and the link goes away in the directory. Move the source
someone else, change it's name, and
it reappears. I don't find the standard SAP to be particularlly useful for
limited-duration multicasts (the SAP
could show up too late or stay too long) or for and obviously does not reach
non-multicast enabled users.

rich