wg-multicast - Re: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I rest my case

  • From: Dan Pritts <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, Alan Crosswell <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: I rest my case
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:41:50 -0400

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 06:07:08PM -0400, Richard Mavrogeanes wrote:
> SSM is certainly on our map. In many ways, it's easy to implement. You
> are right, VBrick is a vendor and must be driven by business. There is
> only so much "if you build it they will come" a company can undertake,
> and I doubt my company will sell more stuff any time soon by having
> IGMPv3 support, as much as we can all agree it is "better". With that
> said, it *is* coming.

I'm a bit confused - what work does vbrick need to do to support
SSM/IGMPv3?

I'd think that your server software would not need to change at all,
and any client side changes would be handled by the IGMP stack in the
OS, not in your software?

You're certainly right about the switch issue. If a switch doesn't support
IGMP at all, well, it won't work any better with IGMPv3.

However, there is still a benefit to using SSM - no MSDP needed in the
router infrastructure.

danno
--
dan pritts

systems administrator 734/352-4953 office
internet2 734/834-7224 mobile