wg-multicast - Re: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I rest my case

  • From: "William F. Maton" <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: I rest my case
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 May 2004, John Zwiebel wrote:

On May 22, 2004, at 9:18 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

We need to have a standard directory that lists multicast sources.

No we don't. Do we need "a standard directory that lists JPEG images"? Do we need "a standard directory that lists MPEG movies"? Of course not.

For a "real" channel, where that channel is always up and running and
never moves, you are totally right.

I do agree with Hitoshi as well. We do. Not because such a thing might seem silly to us, but simply because it would be useful to have when an ISP interested in doing multicast asks, "what's out there?"

Telling them to turn on multicast, then spark up SDR only to find out they and their customers need IP/TV clients turns into a wasted effort in the end.

However, folks claim multicast will be useful for other applications
than internet TV. (I'd like to think so, but other than Access Grid,
it isn't clear to me that there's anything else out there.)

I have seen some efforts into using multicast as an NNTP transport. But I have not seen anyone report as to whether it was any more efficient than just point-to-point peering. It would be nice to setup such a network once again just to see how far it can be pushed.

Anyone game?

wfms