wg-multicast - Re: I rest my case

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: I rest my case

  • From: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: I rest my case
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 18:09:34 +0200 (MEST)

> >We need to have a standard directory that lists multicast sources.
>
> No we don't. Do we need "a standard directory that lists JPEG images"? Do
> we need "a standard directory that lists MPEG movies"? Of course not.

We need it. (I agree with John.)

> All we need is people advertising their SSM sessions on their own web sites
> - as links to SDP files (i.e., using the MIME type
> "application/sdp"). There are already plenty of ways to find things on web
> sites (i.e., search engines).

It is not true. And you are not talking about "a directory".

Which search engines *look for* and *list* a multicast session which
has just started a few minutes ago?
(A multicast directory system should be more dynamic than a regular
web system. Therefore, there is nothing.)

How can we control *scopes* by search engines (or Web servers)?
(Central servers like Web server do not provide any means to define
and apply scopes to a multicast session. Therefore, it is impossible.)
--
Hitoshi Asaeda