wg-multicast - Re: BCP question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BCP question

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: , Bill Nickless <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: BCP question
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:06:09 -0400

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:43:55 -0500
"David Farmer"
> What is your opinion of BOGON filters in general?
>
> In your opinion, is there anything particularly more problematic with
> a Multicast BOGON filter compared to a Unicast BOGON filter?
>
> I'd suggest adding a section about Reserved Groups in your Draft
> on IPv4 Multicast Unusable Groups and Source Addresses. Even
> if you come down against filtering them I think some discussion
> would be useful, espically since technically they shouldn't be used.

I think what Bill is worried about, and I know what I would worry about,
is that one fine day these blocks would be assigned (say for a
embedded RP scheme), and long forgotten filters would cripple
the new service and cause grief all around.

Upon thinking about it a little more, I am not too worried about it. The time
constant on introducing any new service would be long enough that fixing
people's filters would just be part of the noise.

Marshall