wg-multicast - Re: BCP question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BCP question

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Matthew Davy <>
  • Cc: Bill Nickless <>, David Farmer <>,
  • Subject: Re: BCP question
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:25:12 -0500

On 2 Sep 2003 Matthew Davy wrote:

> So what about applications that are hard-coded to use this address space ?
> (*After* we flog the developers for doing something this bone-headed ;-)

I'd suggest making them answer RIAA complaints for a couple months. ;-)

> Should we block the addresses and then poke holes for the ones that need it
> ?

Don't know, that would seem logical unless their is a big number of wholes.
That
would be the killer for this idea.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do this on Abilene, any other
backbone, or
even at GigaPOPs, but at a campus border I think it might be very appropriate.

> Does anyone have a feel for how common this is ?

I'll spin this back to to you MSDP mister, how much MSDP state do we see for
these blocks over the next few weeks.

There shouldn't be anyone doing SSM on these blocks should their?

Therefore, we should see MSDP state for any traffic, right?

Another way would be to look at Netflow, I think.

> - Matt

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035