wg-multicast - Re: BCP question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BCP question

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • Cc: , Bill Nickless <>
  • Subject: Re: BCP question
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:23:42 -0500

On 3 Sep 2003 Leonard Giuliano wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, David Farmer wrote:
>
> -)
> -) Does anyone have an opinion if just MSDP should be filter, or both
> -) traffic and MSDP should be filtered at an Administrative Boundary?
> -) Should traffic or PIM join state, etc... be filtered within an
> -) Administrative Domain?
> -)
>
> If you are going to filter these groups for MSDP, it also makes sense to
> block these for PIM state and data scoping as well for the same reasons.
> MSDP filters, PIM filters and scopes each do something different, and
> protect you from different attacks. I think you definately want to do
> this at your domain boundaries. Within your domain, it's up to you.
>
> Additionally, it might also be good to only define your RP for 224/8,
> 233/8 (and 239/8 if you support that). This further prevents unwanted
> state on your RPs, etc.

If you limited the RP wouldn't you need to filter within the admin
domain. Or what happens on the local network when someone
starts up a Source on one of the Reserved Groups and what about
a Receiver.

> -Lenny

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035