wg-multicast - Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

  • From: David Meyer <>
  • To: (Jan Novak)
  • Cc: (David Meyer), ,
  • Subject: Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:08:04 -0800 (PST)

> > Or is it something else?
> >

> I think, I understand very well, what Kevin means/wants.
> We have at least two SM connected countries with quite
> careful and knowledgeable people in charge of the mcast
> network and they also need "protection" from high speed
> streems - for 99% they don`t have any users, wanting the data
> - once we kill the rest of DVMRp, I think we will come back to cisco -).

So the problem is that there are dense mode regions with
"high bandwidth" streams, implying that flood and prune
is the problem?

I still don't understand. If it's flood&prune, then data
goes where it is not wanted every three (or so) minutes.
That might be a problem. If not, then it seems that we're
trying to stop these streams from going over commodity
links. Well why would they? I can think of a few reasons:

(i). There are receivers for the group in the commodity
internet that do not have I2 connectivity (why do they
see the session, if using sdr?). In this case we're
just trying to trying to protect ourselves from users
(see Bill's note).

(ii). If there are receivers that have both commodity
and I2 connectivity. In this case it would appear
that there is a routing problem (why don't join/prunes
follow the I2 routes?).

(iii). Flood and prune regions

(iv). Implementation, design or configuration bugs

BTW, what is a high bandwidth flow?

Dave