wg-multicast - Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

  • From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>
  • To: Ron Roberts <>
  • Cc: Bill Fenner <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:44:43 -0800 (PST)

All -

This problem (highbandwidth streams and clueless end users)
is not an I2 specific problem - it is just as easy to generate
and distribute MPEG sessions outside the I2 network space as
it is within the I2 arena. While I agree that some kind "border control"
between the I2 and the commodity space would be useful, allocating
addresses for I2 use only doesn't solve the bigger problem.

seems like these same questions lead to the rise of RSVP/diffserv &
othered assorted Q0S mechanisms..

my 2 cents.

Lucy E. Lynch Academic User Services
Computing Center University of Oregon

(541) 346-1774
Cell: (541) 915-4189

Key fingerprint = 2C 80 2F 8C 5F 68 37 E3 AC 16 09 F1 36 E4 61 15