wg-multicast - RE: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

  • From: "Jill Gemmill" <>
  • To: "Hugh LaMaster" <>, "Multicast WG Internet2" <>
  • Subject: RE: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:44:22 -0600

100Mbps switches are getting cheaper. The rest of the infrastructure, for a
large LAN, to support putting in 100Mb switches at the desktop without
oversubscribing building and campus backbones, adds up to sizeable sums very
quickly. a 24-port 100Mbps switch needs a gigabit uplink -- those prices
are significantly higher. Start counting to see when the gig uplink becomes
oversubscribed and insert more $$$.