wg-multicast - Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

Subject: All things related to multicast

Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: Report from the Miami I2/NLANR meeting
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 15:23:02 -0800 (PST)

Here is my list of items that were generated out of the
Miami NLANR/Internet2 Techs Workshop (sorry for being
a month late... it has taken me this long to get caught
up).

1. The new multicast deployment workshop (in addition to
the intro to multicast workshop) was a tremendous
success. My plan was to have lots of people ready
to talk in case no issues came up, but given that
lots of issues came up not everyone got to talk
(sorry if you were on the list... opportunities
will be available in the future).

The feeling I got from talking to folks is that lots
of people want to follow just behind what the cutting
edge multicast deployment folks. I think people are
waiting to hear that from the community that multicast
is becoming ready to deploy. This process is a good
thing and therefore it is also a good thing that people
who are currently deploying multicast give talks, e.g.
Ken Lindahl's talk (which is now available on the I2
page).

So, in the future, at each workshop, we will be having
multicast deployment workshops in addition to the intro
to multicast stuff. They may be short, they may be long.
It depends on how many folks volunteer to talk.

2. A new year's resolution for me was to put together a
multicast management tools and techniques WWW page with
real-time stats and pointers to places to get help on
multicast management. Stay tuned.

3. I'm going to work with the NLANR folks to get some
useful (and more general) multicast information up on the
NLANR multicast WWW pages. Included in this will be a
survey of I2 members who are using multicast in their
apps. Not only do we need multicast deployment expertise
and status, but we also need multicast application expertise
and status. I'd also like to make these pages community-driven
so if there is stuff that SHOULD be on the list that isn't
bring it up on the mailing list.

4. One focus for the coming year is to have more "big time" (tm)
events that can be used to motivate campuses to deploy
multicast. The NetAid was one last year. We are working
on similar events for the future.

5. One technical issue is how to provide Abilene with a
direct connection to AS10888 and any potential commercial
ISPs who I2 members have a research interest in directly
multicast peering. Guy Almes, the Abilene NOC folks, the
NASA Ames NGIX folks, etc. etc. are all working to find the
best technical solution. Currently, NREN is giving us
commodity Internet groups and multicast routes.

6. Another technical issue that came up (based on what Ken
Lindahl is doing at UCB) is whether we can do semantic-based
allocation of group addresses, i.e. a certain ranges of
addresses imply applications within a specified bandwidth
range. As an example, Ken is currently doing a split into
four groups: <200 kbps, <2 Mbps, <20 Mbps, and >20 Mbps.

The initial consensus seemed like this was a good idea, but
follow-up discussion with some folks has led me to believe
that this may not be such a good thing (basically because
administrative overhead is high and utility is low).

So address scoping for low bandwidth and high bandwidth
groups (important to distinguish what groups should be
carried from I2 into the commodity Internet) continues
to be a problem.

That's all that is currently on my list... comments?

-Kevin