shibboleth-dev - RE: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:24:30 -0400

> Sorry, maybe my explanation was a bit too terse. Switching to the
> FreeBSD code still allows doing "standard" file I/O (by using POSIX
> calls like fopen etc.), but maybe there's some special path name syntax
> which is not supported this way.

Sorry, this was me being terse. What I was trying to say was that based on
your statement, I presume that an *unpatched* Xerces does NOT work inside
Apache, as before, and I was confused as to why Lukas implied that it was
starting up now and not crashing.

I would assume it work with your patch, if the patch works, though I don't
know about the path name question either. I avoid using unusual path
syntaxes anyway.

> Some people from our e-conf/streaming team have been running an SP (1.3,
> on Leopard server) compiled with a version of Xerces patched like this,
> and it basically seems to work so far, from what I've heard.

That's the first concrete statement I've had about the issue being
resolvable.

> If you think it won't break things beyond repair, then yes, that would
> probably be a good thing to try ;-) (Developing a proper fix for Xerces
> is most likely beyond my coding skills, especially those related to the
> native OS X stuff.)

It wouldn't matter. There's no 2.9 coming anytime soon, and 3.0 is probably
going to be out shortly, and supposedly removes the use of non-POSIX calls
in most cases other than the transcoder issue. And I'm *not* distributing a
new Xerces distribution myself, that's over and done with.

But I could do the patch inside the port since I have to provide the port
myself anyway. I'll look it over when time permits.