shibboleth-dev - Re: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Minor error(s) in MacPort Shibboleth 2.0
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:08:09 -0400

Lukas Haemmerle wrote:
I think the errors are the same as the ones we saw earlier:
The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation functionality safely. You MUST exec().

I'm confused. I thought this had been tested by somebody running an Intel Mac. If we build Xerces with no CF calls, and it's still not working, then I think we're unable to support Leopard unless Apple fixes this bug.

But what code is left that's calling these APIs? Did you build Xerces using my portfile?

However, this problem is more related to Leopard than to the architecture problem mentioned in my last mail.

Yes, I understand that, but I thought it was solved.

> What I also found a bit strange is that Mac Ports
apparently only compiles for the 32bit architectures ("-arch i386 -arch ppc") but not the 64bit version or am I missing something here?

I think Apple is flat breaking their OS here. If you ship 64 bit code and expect people to build 64-bit libraries, then your toolchain (remember, the gcc here is Apple's) should build 64-bit by default. That's what 64-bit Linux does as far as I can see.

Maybe this is a libtool issue though.

If true, these 32bit universal binaries wouldn't help much I guess...

Nope. I was far more concerned about the bitness issue. If you build on Intel, you should get Intel binaries and I see no real need to make them universal. That's why I just did source-based portfiles, I expected that people would build on the machine where it was being used, so CPU arch shouldn't be an issue.

But to fix this, we would probably have to do a platform variant that sets CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS to force a 64-bit build.

BTW, I believe I've fixed the version macros in the portfiles that were
broken.