shibboleth-dev - RE: shib design call, today (3/17), 3:00 pm est, noon pst

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: shib design call, today (3/17), 3:00 pm est, noon pst

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: shib design call, today (3/17), 3:00 pm est, noon pst
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:30:46 -0500

Here's the GPL "info" that I was referring to.... it comes the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

What constitutes combining two parts into one program? This is a legal question, which ultimately judges will decide. We believe that a proper criterion depends both on the mechanism of communication (exec, pipes, rpc, function calls within a shared address space, etc.) and the semantics of the communication (what kinds of information are interchanged).

If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run linked together in a shared address space, that almost surely means combining them into one program.

By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are communication mechanisms normally used between two separate programs. So when they are used for communication, the modules normally are separate programs. But if the semantics of the communication are intimate enough, exchanging complex internal data structures, that too could be a basis to consider the two parts as combined into a larger program.

Its paraghraph two that I'm concerned about.....