shibboleth-dev - Re: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:32:22 -0800 (PST)

OK, more discussion. The BDB license info is at:

http://www.sleepycat.com/download/licensinginfo.shtml

Their terms are not GPL, per se. They say if you write and redistribute,
you have to make source available under reasonable terms; and clearly an
Apache/openldap-style license fits that definition. So I don't think
there's any problem for us to use bdb.

Now openldap goes further and writes to gdbm, which is gpl or maybe lgpl,
and Kurt also goes further and pounds the table and says that the Gnu
claim of applying to software merely written to an API is bogus and
wouldn't stand up in court. Opinions no doubt vary ... but I don't think
we need to opine on that point to move forward with bdb.

- RL "Bob"