shibboleth-dev - RE: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'RL 'Bob' Morgan' <>, 'Shibboleth Design Team' <>
  • Subject: RE: regarding openldap's use of sleepycat/bdb
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:47:10 -0500

>Their terms are not GPL, per se. They say if you write and redistribute,
>you have to make source available under reasonable terms; and clearly an
>Apache/openldap-style license fits that definition. So I don't think
>there's any problem for us to use bdb.

That's not the Apache license, it's much closer to GPL. I thought the issue
was, if we include this code, does that mean that a
commercial vendor can't use the code in their product w/o having to open
source that product?

With Apache-style, there's no requirement to do so, but with GPL or this
license, there is.

Now, the complexity is in what constitutes "using the code in our program".
With GPL, there's been some thought on that issue, and
if the conclusions for the BDB are the same, then we're in ok shape. We can
distribute a plugin, and the plugin is viral, but not
the shib code.