wg-multicast - Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:55:46 -0500

Several thoughts:

1. I don't think traffic filters should be put in place blocking traffic for
the
IANA Reserved Groups only MSDP filters, at least on the Abilene Backbone

2. If new /8s are allocated from the Reserved Groups, why would you think
they would use the ASM especially with MSDP? I would think 224/8 and
233/8 for GLOP should be enough, for ASM, especially using MSDP. We
need to keep an eye on 32bit ASNs though, but even all of the remaining
Reserved Groups wouldn't be enough to simply extend the current GLOP
allocation model to 32bit ASNs.

3. If future use of the Reserved Groups will not be using MSDP, then
filtering
it from MSDP now would be an advantage. Doing it later will just allow more
garbage to squat on the groups and cause more problems in the future.

4. Filtering these groups from MSDP doesn't prevent other non-MSDP uses
of the Reserved Groups, as long as you don't put in traffic filters (see #1).

5. Further, not that I'm recommending it, but SSM traffic could still be
passed on the Reserved Groups. If it is OK to have MSDP running for all
the Reserved groups why aren't all routers configured to do SSM on the
Reserved Groups?

I'd still like to see some group usage data specific to Abilene

I seem to feel a consensus building (but not unanimous, I'll grant you) for
filtering the IANA Reserved Groups from Abilene's MSDP. Is anyone
adamantly against the idea? (please speak up)

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-626-1818