wg-multicast - Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:10:07 -0500

On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:15:04 -0400
Matthew Davy

> Thanks for the quick analysis ! This would clearly block a lot of
> SAs that are being accepted today. I wonder if users have gotten
> used to just picking a group randomly out of the vast reserved space
> and using it instead of using GLOP or SAP or SSM ? If so, this
> is a behavior that should probably change. But the question is,
> what we would we break if we implemented this filter ?

We did some of this filtering at NU, particularly all the reserved
/8's, and some other really obnoxious stuff. The only we problem we
would have, though I don't expect it to be a problem in this case, is
if we there was some group used within our AS that was not configured
on our local RP and ended up getting filtered out. Otherwise, from an
external perspective, I don't ever recall hearing boo from anyone
seriously trying to use any of those reserved across AS boundaries.

John