wg-multicast - Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

  • From: Eli Dart <>
  • To: Stig Venaas <>
  • Cc: , Matthew Davy <>, , ESnet Engineering <>
  • Subject: Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:40:25 -0700

I've made similar suggestions and had similar reactions in the past. But I've made the suggestion more recently and with the worms sweeping through Multicast and hosing MSDP several times in the past couple years, I'd say some have warmed to the idea. I'd like to propose we block the IANA Reserved Multicast Space. Would it be possible for you to do some work and collect dtata to see if there is any sings of use, other than worms?

In general I wouldn't recommend blocking reserved space. It makes it very hard for some of the space to become un-reserved in the future if you see what I mean. If at some point some of this space should be unblocked, it might be hard to get everyone to open up.

That depends on who is blocking it. As an example, ESnet does not forward reserved unicast IPv4 space. This isn't a problem, since we routinely monitor the lists where new allocations are announced. When new allocations are made, the prefix is removed from our bogon filters.

If a well-administered infrastructure blocks bogons and keeps the filters up to date, this is potentially better than letting all the end sites (who may instantiate filters in response to an acute problem and forget to update them as allocations change) do all the filtering.

Just a thought...

--eli

--
Eli Dart Office: (510) 486-5629
ESnet Network Engineering Group Fax: (510) 486-6712