wg-multicast - Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

  • From: Pekka Savola <>
  • To: Stig Venaas <>
  • Cc: , Matthew Davy <>,
  • Subject: Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:04:55 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Stig Venaas wrote:
In general I wouldn't recommend blocking reserved space. It makes it very hard for some of the space to become un-reserved in the future if you see what I mean. If at some point some of this space should be unblocked, it might be hard to get everyone to open up.

Of course as an administrator I might want to block it, knowing that I would be able to unblock my routers if necessary...

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend such blocking to end-sites, but for (hopefully :-) well-administrated backbones, preventing reserved space abuse and scanning would seem like a good thing to do. That way the users of that backbone might not need to make that blocking themselves.

Pekka