wg-multicast - Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Stig Venaas <>
  • Cc: , Matthew Davy <>,
  • Subject: Re: Proposed MSDP filtering changes on Abilene
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Stig Venaas wrote:

-)
-) In general I wouldn't recommend blocking reserved space. It makes it very
-) hard for some of the space to become un-reserved in the future if you see
-) what I mean. If at some point some of this space should be unblocked, it
-) might be hard to get everyone to open up.
-)

Any new allocations are generally done in 224/8 right now. At this time,
there do not appear to be any promising mechanisms that would consume any
mcast addresses outside of 224/8, 232/8 or 233/8. So just a quick and
dirty 3-line policy might be to allow 224/8, 232/8 and 233/8 and block
everything else from global/interdomain forwarding would get rid of
13/16's of the random attacks (worms, etc). Given the very low
probability that any addresses in 225/8-231/8, 234/8-239/8 will be
assigned for global use anytime soon, compared with the large
vulnerability target they currently provide, it seems like benefits
strongly outweigh the potential dangers of filtering.

-Lenny