wg-multicast - Re: My question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: My question

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • Cc: Brent Sweeny <>, Richard Murphy <>,
  • Subject: Re: My question
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:04:27 -0400

Avoid BSR and sparse-dense mode. With auto-rp and anycast, you don't need any form of dense mode! If you network is pretty small and redundancy is not an issue, then you don't need anycast and multiple rps that anycast allows. There is still config that needs to be done to make anycast, sparse-mode, and auto-rp to work.

This is the config for one of our two core RP's

ip multicast-routing
ip multicast multipath

interface Loopback0
description Management Interface
ip address 128.2.4.249 255.255.255.255
ip pim sparse-mode
ip sap listen
!
! This IP address below is shared with our other core router
!
interface Loopback1
description Anycast RP Interface
ip address 128.2.1.130 255.255.255.255
ip pim sparse-mode
!
! So you can see below that the ip pim rp-address is the anycast rp address
!
ip pim rp-address 128.2.1.130 30
! So we are telling leaf routers that ask that the rp address is the unique loopback0 address
ip pim rp-candidate Loopback0 group-list 11
ip pim send-rp-announce Loopback0 scope 32 group-list 11
ip pim send-rp-discovery Loopback0 scope 32

access-list 11 deny 224.0.1.39
access-list 11 deny 224.0.1.40
access-list 11 permit 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255
access-list 30 permit 128.2.4.250
access-list 30 permit 128.2.4.249
access-list 30 permit 224.0.1.39
access-list 30 permit 224.0.1.40