wg-multicast - Re: My question

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: My question

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: Richard Murphy <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: My question
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:54:24 -0700

On 9/4/02 8:03 AM, "Richard Murphy"

> Thanks to all who sent me configuration tips. There were a few differences
> in
> the advice I was given, so I thought I would post a
> diagram of my network and some multicast configuration details in case
> anyone
> wants to add to their comments. The 7206VXR is using
> the Abilene cookbook configuration and seems to show the proper status to
> all
> multicast related "show commands". This router is
> running IOS 12.2-10a and the 4700 is running 11.3. The hosts attempting to
> join multicast groups are on the Ethernet attached to the
> 4700.

Update from 11.3. I don't know how old that is, but PIM was a
moving target for a really long time. There are all kinds of
differences, although in the topology you show here, perhaps
they wouldn't show.

Do you have the 7206 configured as the RP?

I see you have a static RP on the 4700, but I dn't see it on the
7200. Old IOS (11.3) might accept a PIM join and become the RP.
Newer IOS won't accept a PIM join for a (*,G) unless it is
specifically configured as an RP.