wg-multicast - Re: multicast over layer 2 core

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast over layer 2 core

  • From: Mark Boolootian <>
  • To: John Meylor <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: multicast over layer 2 core
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:52:54 -0700

> I wouldn't discount value of RGMP so quickly, its provided
> a simple, effective solution to these router-only L2 forwarding
> problems in many deployments for some time now. It does require
> the router to talk to the switch, but as its sw solution in L3
> it also can be used in most cases today.

Sorry, my comment sounded dismissive, but it wasn't meant that way. We
may yet turn up RGMP in a few places, because it will do what's needed.
However, it doesn't look like the right way to solve the problem. PIM
snooping makes much more sense. Does Cisco have anything in the works
for PIM snooping?

mb